Powered By Blogger

Monday 21 December 2009

A Christmas Carol

Written by Charles Dickens in October 1843, it's one of those stories that can be told time and time again and will constantly appeal to all ages.

It's a classic, simple as. It has an "easy to follow" storyline but one that comes with an important message: To understand how your actions can affect your relationship with people, learning about the error of your ways and most importantly: how you can change and makes things better.

The book has been made into countless films (including actors such as Michael Cain in "The Muppet's Christmas Carol", Jim Carey in the 3D animated adaptation, Albert Finney in the musical "Scrooge", the Disney version plus the famous Musical Score as well, featuring songs "Link By Link", "Lights of Long Ago", "Dancing On Your Grave" and "God Bless Us Everyone".)

Christmas is a time that, if something terrible happens, it's worse this time of year than any other time of year. It's a time when people come together and eat too much Turkey and tell too many bad jokes. Christmas is a time for celebration, and not just about Jesus (What? It's true!). It's a time to be grateful and thankful for what you have and I truly believe that "A Christmas Carol" is partly responsible for it. I'll be damned if I meet a child who doesn't know the story.

The thing about watching this film is that, although it's for all ages, it's actually quite scary. It really makes you think about what you do to other people and it kinda makes you think "I hope people don't think that away about me..."
I've read a few responses on YouTube and several people have said that they feel they need to be more charitable after watching the film. That's what's so amazing about the story - it makes you want to do something good, and all because of one man. Charles Dicken's only wrote "A Christmas Carol" because his previous book didn't do so well. (Crazy, right? He definitely made up for it.)

The Albert Finney adaptation was the first real life "Scrooge" film I ever saw and my favourite scene is when they all sing "Thank you very much".

It's the bit where the townsfolk rejoice over Scrooge's death, people dancing on his coffin and Scrooge joining in not knowing what they're singing about. It always intrigued me as a kid: the black coffin representing a very hated dead person and everyone behind the carriage rejoicing and glad that he was gone. I mean, death shouldn't be that way, so to have this cheery song played at this man's funeral was such an interesting clashing contrast to me. I always liked the scene even though I probably shouldn't have...though I think I only like it after I watched the reprise.



There's something about Albert Finney in this clip, he really reminds me of someone. I'm not quite sure who though, so if anyone has any suggestions don't hesitate to throw them in!

Anyway, this is the reprise. I'm glad they used this song at the Funeral and when Scrooge became a changed man. Everyone's thankful to the same man but for very different reasons. People can be thankful that you're dead or thankful towards you for doing something good, you know?

Charles Dickens is a genius, I'll have no-one disagree with me!

No comments: